The Junction

“The Junction ” as it became to be called, was originally the crossing of two streetcar lines. When West Seattle was annexed in 1907, besides improved water service from the City of Seattle, an additional streetcar line was extended down to Fauntleroy. Where the line ended at Fauntleroy was called “Endolyne E(end-of-the-line). Where the Fauntleroy line #2 met the tracks of the streetcar heading north to the Admiral neighborhood – the junction of the two rapidly grew to a small business district. “The Junction Ename stuck. Today it is the business heart of West Seattle, and a gathering place for community events and the summer farmer’s market.

The West Seattle Junction

The West Seattle Junction during the removal of its namesake- the streetcar tracks. This is the corner of Alaska and California Ave., facing west, 1926. SWSHS #1998.33.662

Engine #32 in front of the Junction Fire Station

Engine #32 in front of the Junction Fire Station. SWSHS #1998.35.22

4500 block of California Ave., in the Junction, 1967

Businesses located on the 4500 block of California Ave., in the Junction, 1967. SWSHS #2003.20.580


Back to top