VIDEO: Two city landmarks in the Junction!
April 5th, 2017
Campbell and Hamm buildings win unanimous board votes to become Junction’s first official landmarks
Good news! The Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board voted unanimously on April 5, 2017, to designate as a city landmark the Campbell Building (main tenant Cupcake Royale). This follows a unanimous vote of the board on Feb. 15, 2017, to designate as a landmark the Hamm Building (main tenant Easy Street Records). The two are the West Seattle Junction’s first official landmarks.
Scores of people — including Seattle City Council member Lisa Herbold and King County Executive Dow Constantine and former Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels and former Seattle City Council member Tom Rasmussen — wrote their support and testified at hearings on behalf of these buildings. We thank everyone for their key efforts!
The Campbell and Hamm building designations now proceed to the “controls and incentives” phase later this spring.
Landmark nominations for the Campbell Building and Hamm Building were submitted by our organization to the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board in fall 2016. You can see the full nomination documents at these links:
Here is a link to press coverage of the submission.
We are grateful to 4Culture for the grant that funded preparation of both nominations by consultants Flo Lentz and Sarah Miller.
To see and download a high-resolution version of the collage, click the college.
To see and download high-resolution versions of individual photos, please click here.
To see 360-degree group photos, photos of children finding themselves in Group Hug photos, “We Love …” chalkboards and more from our booth and activities at West Seattle Summer Fest (July 8-10, 2016) click here.
Enjoy this video of our March 5, 2016, press conference, contributed by Klem Daniels Productions!
The latest updates
- To see the March 5, 2016, press release, click here.
- To see the March 5, 2016, press conference script, click here.
- To see our mirror website, WeLoveTheJunction.org, click here.
- To see info and video on the West Seattle Junction Historical Survey, released on March 2, 2016, click here.
- To see Rod Moody’s fun and detailed website on the history of Junction businesses, click here. Here is a slice of his home page:
Where to get “We Love The Junction” buttons
“We Love the Junction” buttons are on sale for $1 apiece at:
- Coastline Burgers, 4444 California Ave. S.W.
- Easy Street Records, 4559 California Ave. S.W.
- Husky Deli, 4721 California Ave. S.W.
- Luna Park Cafe, 2918 S.W. Avalon Way
- Red Cup Espresso, 4451 California Ave. S.W.
- Thunder Road Guitars, 4736 California Ave. S.W.
- Our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum, 3003 61st Ave. S.W.
(Open hours noon to 4 p.m. Thursday through Sunday)
Join us in support of securing City of Seattle landmark status
for two iconic buildings in the heart of the West Seattle Junction!
We at the Southwest Seattle Historical Society are leading an effort to seek city landmark status for a pair of historic structures – the Campbell and Hamm buildings – in West Seattle’s primary business district, The Junction.
We invite you to partner with us as we work to preserve the historic character of The Junction for future generations.
Surveying history, with an eye to the future
In 2015, we at the Southwest Seattle Historical Society partnered with other local organizations to conduct the West Seattle Junction Historical Survey.
The survey evaluated the historical and architectural significance of 58 buildings in The Junction, interviewed building owners and surveyed 265 citizens. The survey identified several buildings that may qualify for landmark designation — two of these structures are the Campbell and Hamm buildings.
To learn more about the survey’s final report and see video of the March 2, 2016, press conference at which it was unveiled, click here.
What is a city landmark?
In 1973, the city of Seattle created the Landmarks Preservation Board. To date, Seattle has designated more than 450 individual sites, buildings, vehicles, vessels, and street clocks as landmarks subject to protection by city ordinance.
To be designated by the city as a historical landmark, a building must be at least 25 years old and meet at least one of six criteria that focus on significant historic, cultural, and architectural association with the local community.
To learn more about the details of what qualifies as a city of Seattle historic landmark, click here.
Why is it called ‘The Junction’?
The district got its name in 1907, when the West Seattle and Fauntleroy electric streetcar lines converged to form a junction at the intersection of California Avenue and Ninth (now Alaska) Street.
Almost overnight, businesses sprung up near the bustling crossroads, and citizens referred to the area as The Junction, with a capital “J.”
W.T. Campbell leads the way
Recognizing The Junction’s potential, real-estate agent William Thomas (W.T.) Campbell set up shop on California Avenue in 1907. Within a few years, he and other boosters succeeded in transforming the area into the Duwamish peninsula’s premier business district.
Campbell — already a prominent figure in West Seattle for his local service — further cemented his place in local history by building two of The Junction’s most familiar and venerable buildings on the north corners of California and Alaska:
- The Campbell Building (1918)
- The Hamm Building (1926)
The Junction grows up
As times changed, The Junction adapted. In today’s world of mega malls and big-box stores, The Junction has a well-earned reputation for its small-town charm and friendly, neighborhood feel due to locally owned businesses and community members who understand and cherish our area’s roots.
Other notable landmark efforts in West Seattle
In 1989, we led a successful campaign to designate the Admiral Theater as a city landmark. Today, the Admiral’s historic features are intact, and this spring the building is slated to undergo a $1.2-million renovation.
Log House Museum and Fir Lodge/Alki Homestead
In 1996, as part of the acquisition of the building that became our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum, we secured landmark status for our building and the Fir Lodge/Alki Homestead. In 2009, our historical society and other heritage groups rallied to preserve the venerable Alki Homestead when a fire threatened its future. Today, with a new owner, the 112-year-old building is undergoing a major restoration that will preserve its historic features and allow it to reopen to the public.
How YOU can get involved
It’s easy. Our “We Love The Junction” Task Force is planning a variety of events and activities to build public awareness about preservation. You can help us in many ways:
Come to our Town Hall Meeting
We are holding a Town Hall Meeting on the landmark campaign at 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 16, 2016, at West Seattle Library, 2306 42nd. Ave. S.W. Join us to learn more about the campaign and how you can help.
We will have buttons for sale at Husky Deli and other businesses in The Junction (see above), as well as our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum. There are two styles — one-inch wide and two-and-a-quarter inches wide. Each is just $1.
Help us broaden awareness by distributing our brochure, selling “We Love The Junction” buttons and engaging the public at West Seattle Farmers Market and other community events.
Sign the ‘Show of Support’
Add your name and e-mail address to the growing list of people who support this landmark campaign and receive updates on how it is proceeding.
Your tax-deductible financial contribution will help defray the costs of brochures and other promotional materials and bolster staff and volunteer work to move the campaign forward. To contribute, click here.
Please e-mail us at email@example.com to get on our e-mail list and stay informed of upcoming events and activities.