A move toward preservation Beloved 1908 log building gets reprieve; West Seattle family to bring it home By Clay Eals To house mover Jeff McCord, it’s “a creative way to slow the loss of neighborhood character.” To Seattle University urban-planning professor Marie Wong, it’s an illustration of “our responsibility to historicism.” And to Admiral …Read More.
February 18th, 2017
Hamm Building wins unanimous board vote to become Junction’s first official landmark; Campbell Building designation hearing set for 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 5, 2017, at City Hall Good news! The Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board voted unanimously on Feb. 15, 2017, to designate the Hamm Building (main tenant Easy Street Records) a city landmark, making …Read More.
January 27th, 2017
In this video, Lissa Kramer, curator for the Southwest Seattle Historical Society, speaks to a members-only opening on June 25, 2016, for the “Welcome Home” exhibit at our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum. Exhibit beckons: ‘Welcome Home’ “Welcome Home,” the newest exhibit at our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum, focuses on the physical …Read More.
VIDEO: Students demonstrate oral-history interviewing from our ‘Telling Our Westside Stories’ project
January 27th, 2017
Find out the background and see a demonstration of oral-history interviewing in this video of the Jan. 26, 2017, “Telling Our Westside Stories” reception of the Southwest Seattle Historical Society. Held at our “Birthplace of Seattle” Log House Museum, the reception celebrated the culmination of the “Telling Our Westside Stories” project launched in 2010 and …Read More.
January 26th, 2017
By Clay Eals The father of the famed Murals of West Seattle has died. Earl Cruzen, a lifelong resident and longtime business leader in West Seattle, died Jan. 23, 2017, at his Duwamish Head condominium overlooking Elliott Bay and Puget Sound. He was 96. Earl was perhaps best known for conceiving and executing the art/history …Read More.